Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:16 am 

I'm working on a 74 H1 and have come across a problem I have never seen before. Bike
will not rev and acts like it has to much fuel. Checked timing with a dial gauge and pointer
is right. Set then with a timing light and is spot on. I have Jims CDI all in one box so that's
not a problem. Bike will start first kick and idles fine. Carb slide pull is set on all 3 carbs
and then even pull with my unisyn. No junk carb parts, I have Ivan's jet kit and using 30 pilots.
I started with the 35's last time I worked on the bike and air screws had to be 3 turns out so
went to the 30's. Air screw at 1 1/2 now and tried needle clip on #4, 3 and now 2
(dropping the needle and leaning). It won't rev and I just don't get it. I set the carb floats
to spec a month ago also. Motor is a fresh rebuild including crank and last month when I rode
the bike for the first time it did have a problem in mid range throttle but would clean up on top.
At that time I found the carbs had cheap rebuild kits with the junk needles and that got me
to buy Ivan's kit. The one thing I'm not sure of it the gaskets on the top with the notch are poor fit and
may not seal, would that do it? :banghead Starter plungers are set right too and not sticking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Will not rev to what? under load, in higher gears only? Does it go flat, or 4 stroke? What do the plugs look like? Is the vent in the fuel cap clear?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 am 

It won't rev on my stand in neutral and my portable tank is vented. It will pick up to maybe 4k and then just sputter. You can
go full throttle and it won't pick up. Never seen this before John. I will take a video tomorrow night and post it. If it was a
H1D I would suspect a high speed coil but these late H1's only have the 1 coil in the stator correct? I'm stumped on this one :wtf:
The plugs do look wet and are black and sooty. Oil pump is set and check valves I set to pop at 4.6. It will smoke a little at
start up but then cleans up fine. Doesn't act like it is to much oil. I'll pull the carbs and check them again.

Last edited by 67lotus49 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 am 

I know you said it sounds rich,but try choking it and see
if it gets better or worse,easy thing to try

Brec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Admin

Make sure the alternator output is correct to battery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 am 

If it used to rev out with the old carb kit (despite it being junk) and now it won't - I would definitely be looking at the carb kit and/or installation and go from there. If the junk stuff is still close at hand, you might want to reinstall it and see what happens. I have heard Ivan's kits are great but it might be possible some parts got mixed up or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 am 

Air intake clear?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 am 

Do the commutator segments and carbon brushes look good?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 am 

I had the exact problem once when I used bad info to set the float levels on my PJ carbs... The bike would start and run fine until I wicked the throttle, then it fell flat on it's face. Bad grounds to coils could do something similar but you did say you were working on the carbs.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 am 

Not sure Jim, will check everything tonight. I didn't put this bike together, just trying to sort it out
for a friend. It was bought mostly complete but wouldn't start. When I took the bike in last month
I checked it out and found the pick up coils had to wide a gap. Set them to spec and it started.I
then went through the oil system. Pulled a cylinder and it was fresh with new pistons and crank
looked fresh too. I'll take a video tonight after work a maybe someone has seen this problem
before. Probably something I missed, old age you know.