Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am 

Walms wrote:
I had the exact problem once when I used bad info to set the float levels on my PJ carbs... The bike would start and run fine until I wicked the throttle, then it fell flat on it's face. Bad grounds to coils could do something similar but you did say you were working on the carbs.

It might be float level, yes. Running with no air filters I can see fuel spray out the back of the carbs and the plugs look wet.
I set them to what the manual said but may find a old fuel bowl and modify it with a tube for visual checking. I don't see
ground to the motor so will add one tonight and check the coils and there grounds to. Frame has been powder coated
and I did have to clean the mass ground near the battery and cdi. I'm not use to working on a bike that someone else put
together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am 

The mist out of the carbs sounds similar to a recent snag I helped solve over at KTOG.

Have a look to see if the small brass pin that locates the needle jet in the carb body(s) is still present (it is pressed into the "tower" casting on the side of the tower close to the main jet location). These DO fall out, especially if you are changing needle jets.

If the pin is missing the carbs will go super rich due to fuel being allowed into the air bleed circuit on the side of the needle jet.

Also, when setting float level fully invert the carb and set it 25mm above the bare gasket surface...

The late H1 iggy's coils are not grounded at their locations as selective grounding is controlled by the commutator at the end of the alternator rotor. As such your issue could be a bad "distributor" brush situe too.. Since the engine is rubber? mounted it does need a hard ground to the frame as well...

J

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm 

All good info, will check eveething.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

I hate powdercoat, but that's another story....lol. All the above are good to look for. And piston ports do blow mixture out the carbs, so there will always be a mist in the bells.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I hate powdercoat, but that's another story....lol. All the above are good to look for. And piston ports do blow mixture out the carbs, so there will always be a mist in the bells.

What is wrong with powder coat? I like mine, just make sure you grind clear all the places necessary for good grounding including engine mount points :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Never said anything wrong with it, I just don't like it. Too thick and too many problems, even when you try to avoid them. Just my opinion....... :problem:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 am 

Found the problem :mrgreen: One of the pick up coils had a disconnected white wire. Thanks for all the help guys, I can button
this thing up now and another triple is back on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 am 
Site Admin

been there, done that...... :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am 

That's still strange. If I run my H2 on two cylinders, it will rev to the redline in neutral or in the lower gears, just not as quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:20 am 

Jim wrote:
That's still strange. If I run my H2 on two cylinders, it will rev to the redline in neutral or in the lower gears, just not as quickly.

Same here Jim, it'll rev but you definitely know something's not right - plugs and heat on cyls/pipes (or cool oil film out a pipe) are a tell tale of not firing, and idle not right either. But glad this one is solved.

Little different topic, I've not checked, but is anyone producing triple wiring harnesses?