Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm 

I'm sure I'm not alone. Have lots of spare hardware, lots of taps and dies, and knowing (from experience) what breaks where and not - my personal tips.

I have a heavy hand - I know it. I know what breaks where and when - and still f-up and break bolts and strip things.

My savior is Kawasaki (and my Harley too) seem to make the bolts break/strip before the casing/critical part does.

Having said that, I'm very much aware of putting something together - and I don't have the soft alloy bolt to go in it's place - but maybe a hardened one - to be cautious if using a hardened bolt as a replacement.

I now have two hard-pointed small bolts in my clutch basket. OH yeah, when assembling I am VERY careful of over-tightening and not stripping out the basket.

BUT

I don't know the torque value for them and the rule-of-thumb for a fine 6/8-x was like 5lbs (memory serves....) and did not seem strong enough - so a little more - snap (below pic).

All I'm saying - especially for new builders is DON'T Be Heavy handed like me. I have - STUFF - and can overcome most of my f-ups, lotta people can't or spend a lot of un-necessary bucks.

My 2-cents.

http://boulier.com/h2/stripped.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 pm 

been there done that. :banghead
:clap:

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

hamfist.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 pm 

A stripped bolt/nut simply becomes something to make something else BETTER out of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm 

Early in life I earned the nick name Jack The Stripper :oops: , to overcome the heavy hand I bought and used at all times a Snap On Palm ratchet aka a Stubby ratchet it helped, after a lot of time and experience my built in wrist torque wrench became well tuned and the problems of Jack The Stripper went away :D

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 pm 

Thanks all~! And that's the term I could not remember - HamFist! Thanks juck - er John.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 pm 

BarryB wrote:
Thanks all~! And that's the term I could not remember - HamFist! Thanks juck - er John.

Additional - I meant FU Moo - tell me YOU've never stripped or broken anything- I dare you :e11 :e11 :e11 :e11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

BarryB wrote:

Additional - I meant FU Moo - tell me YOU've never stripped or broken anything- I dare you :e11 :e11 :e11 :e11

You got me there.... pretty much stripped and broken............ :wtf:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am 

LOL - That'll buff out :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:09 am 

Besides - you are a RACER!!!!!! I'm just a back-yard guy....