Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Well, the 500 clutch is almost the same and no ring, and revs higher.......... :roll:

As I said, It aint the revs spreading the basket fingers..... ;) Its the severity of torque applied through the fingers/tabs. For celerity, picture what would happen to the basket if the friction plate tab/basket finger interface were worn down to 45 degrees. The basket fingers will be wedged outward under load.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
Well, the 500 clutch is almost the same and no ring, and revs higher.......... :roll:

As I said, It aint the revs spreading the basket fingers..... ;) Its the severity of torque applied through the fingers/tabs. For celerity, picture what would happen to the basket if the friction plate tab/basket finger interface were worn down to 45 degrees. The basket fingers will be wedged outward under load.

J

And a lower primary ratio, increasing the torque load. I don't think it really matters on street bikes myself.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 pm 

All depends on the rider,power available, and if they "dump" the clutch... ;)

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 am 

USE THE DARNED RING, IT ISN'T HORSEPOWER, NOT RPM'S, IT IS TORQUE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 am 

Well, you’re a pig-headed bunch aren't you ;) .

I have calculated the stress and deflection on the basket fingers caused by transferring engine torque. I used the torque data for H2 found in the shop manual which is 7,9 kgm @ 6500 rpm.

Max stress = 32.4 Mpa (4.7 ksi)
Outwards deflection = 0.016 mm

Quite a bit less than my numbers from centripetal forces wouldn’t you agree?
There is always the chance that my calculations are wrong so if you can prove me wrong with your own calculations then be my guest.
Oh, and I don’t buy the argument with friction plate tabs being worn down 45 deg, and I do agree that dumping the clutch will make things worse.

PK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:04 am 

I ain't touchin' this one (again) :roll: (or the one about rear brakes!!!) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am 

P.K. wrote:
Oh, and I don’t buy the argument with friction plate tabs being worn down 45 deg, and I do agree that dumping the clutch will make things worse.

PK

I never said they did. :banghead I gave that scenario for people to better visualize what the friction plates are trying to do to the basket when extreme torque is applied through the clutch. Regardless, extreme torque (dumping the clutch etc) causes the basket fingers to spread. With time they will eventually remain spread and likely get worse.

The band prevents the basket spread. USE IT!........I wish my H1 basket was machined to accept a band!

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am 

Why would you leave out a $0.19 part if there was any question? And if there wasn't a question of its need then the enginners at Kawi would have left it out of the original design. Just saying...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 am 

Bill B wrote:
Why would you leave out a $0.19 part if there was any question? And if there wasn't a question of its need then the enginners at Kawi would have left it out of the original design. Just saying...

Because years ago RB posted a pic of the remains of a band that failed......... :e9

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Bill B wrote:

Because years ago RB posted a pic of the remains of a band that failed......... :e9

J

Yeah, the story was, the guy dumped the clutch, and the combination of finger spread, torque, centripedal force and tab wear at 45 degrees was too much for the ring and it broke......... :e11

I think it's probably more of, if you have one then use it, if you don't, don't use it. I don't think they make springs strong enough for the plate to open up those fingers.