Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [71 H1 question]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:06 pm 

Hi Guys,

I haven't been around much lately, been busy racing and building other projects. I sold my T500 and just reregistered my H1 for road use. It's been about 3 years since I've had it out. Before starting I always turn the key on (to hear the buzz of the iggy box) then turn the kill switch off to make sure it rotates. Tonight the switch flew apart! :banghead

I found the pieces but don't know if I'll be able to fix it or not. Can anyone offer any ideas or advice on how to proceed? Is there an alternative to ebay replacement? I'm going to look at the resource site now to see if I can figure out how to easily bypass it, but thought I'd post here first. Thanks for any help. I'm anxious to get it going!

Frank

Post subject: Re: [71 H1 question]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:09 am 

I'm keeping my eye open for a replacement part; the switch has cracked and a small replacement e-clip (original rusted away or other wise missing) won't hold. I bypassed the switch in the headlight housing. Bike started 2nd kick and sat there and idled like a champ on old gas! Yes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm 

I wonder if any internal parts from another Kawasaki model close to 1969 could be used to rebuild yours, even though the actual ignition switch is slightly different...? :think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-KAWASAKI-G4-TR-TRAIL-BOSS-IGNITION-SWITCH-NO-KEY/232561299555

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-1971-F3-175-BUSHWACKER-4-4-IGNITION-SWITCH-w-KEY/401537844411

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Kawasaki-Ignition-Switch-With-Keys-325-9-0217-FWM/192126416367

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

I might have missed something here, 1971 H1, battery electronic ignition, single ignition switch mounted under the left side of the tank from the factory...where is the "kill switch"??? I don't remember any other kill switch for those bikes, only the ignition switch with key.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 am 

It's possible you're not missing anything. I bought the bike as a wreck as a '71, no title required in Maine. This one has the ignition switch handlebar mounted and the kill switch is on the right-hand bar control (along with headlight on/off slider). Perhaps all this came from another bike or it's another year? Electronic ignition with distributor - I never even seriously questioned it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 am 

Sounds like you have it under control. I remember making my own plate to move the ignition switch from just under the tank to next to one of the handlebar clamps, because the premade ones were too expensive.

I am sure you are aware that there are different handlebar switches. Some ground to the bar, some are conduct straight through, etc, even stand alone ones that weren't housed in the throttle or clutch end bar housings. If the ignition is still the stock 71 CDI, it'd be one of the straight through ones.

Its just going to be mix 'n match. Most of them are held together with a very small, fragile C clip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:17 pm 

If you're searching for the actual ignition switch, I just pm'd you a link. If you're talking about a kill switch, that might be a home-made job because as Dave pointed out, the early (69-71) H1's didn't come with one, so you may just have to remove that "kill switch" and return your wiring back to stock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:43 pm 

If this switch is in a handlebar end cover, it MIGHT have some sort of stock manufacturer identification, might help identifying it.

If you haven't resolved it as of yet, could you possibly post a picture of it, someone here might recognize it straight off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:41 pm 

I should have done this first... hese parts must have come from a later H1 or H2 even though the running gear is clearly early H1. The kill switch is not aligned because it's bypassed and the plastic is broken inside the housing. This bike sat disassembled in a leaky shed for a number of years before I rescued it; I've never seen another early H1 in person to compare so everything you guys are posting is good info for me.

ImageH1 RHS controls by Frank, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pm 

The gauges and key location are later model H series, 1o73 thru 1o76 KH500. The kill,switch looks correct for that time frame.

On the net, a lot of dealers have searchable parts lists and diagrams, shouldn the that hard to match up, then parts shouldn't be that hard to source.

This is an early H1, does it have a high pitched electrical "whine" when you turn the ignition switch on, and does it have a set of spark plug wires coming from the front of the clutch cover over the right carb to the plugs?????

If not, it just might have been, changed to a later setup ignition, and maybe even a later model engine?????