Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: piltot Jets on a 70 H1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:12 pm 

My total restored 1970 H1 has been running sweet as and have put over 2500 miles on since the total rebuild. got on top of the leaking oil lines, new Hagon shocks, etc etc Now just the sharp end of tuning to get on top off. I have over the last year put all new every thing stock sized Mikuni jets/needles, floats, slides, etc, but running a KnN air filter. I'm happy with the plug colours, balanced the slides and carbs as per videos here. Magic by the way. :thumbup:
After warm up and a we ride, the idle would not return to it normal rpm but stays up at approx 2500+rpm. After a small touch of the choke it returned to the normal revs but slowly climbs again. Thinking that the KnN air filter is letting more air entering into the carbs, I screwed in the air jets from 1 1/4 turn out to about 3/4 turns out, this had instant response on lowering the idling.
Question to the wise, If I replace the Pilot Jets from the standard size 30 to bigger ones and return the air screws to 1 1/4 out, would that solve my idling, if so how much bigger would I need to go. :think:

Cheers, Bill.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

if screwing in the air screw totally solved the problem, then yes. If nit, then you might have an air leak.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 pm 

I had a constant high idle on my h2 also, and concluded it had something to do with debris somewhere in the pilot/idle circuit, but it did not go away after cleaning. I finally ended up switching out the carb bodies and that did it, so if your issue is not resolved and you have spare carbs laying around, give them a good cleaning and throw them on and see if that cures the high idle issue.