Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Name That Noise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 am 

As Walms say. Your pistons are windowed, and you may have a crack now.

Regarding vibration: You may have 5 hp less power on that cylinder now, due to less compression from stucked rings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Just a simple pair of questions, what piston make and type, and what clearance were they set up at, please? NOT being sarcastic, just very interested.
Just so I don't write it wrong here is what I have written down from when I built it. Looks like .002 and they are Wiseco.
Attachment:
fullsizeoutput_8d3.jpeg

Walms wrote:
I could be going a bit deaf but I honestly didn't hear anything out of the ordinary on the side of the road when you first fired it up, definitely nothing at all like the video and I never had a listen after the ride back. I can only assume that it's progressively getting worse, so don't fire it up again until you take it apart, you will only wreck the cylinder more.

Believe me its MUCH noisier now than when we were at Ricks. I could almost ignore it before although Ricks tuned ears picked it up. Now It is not to be ignored!
Like Jorgen said, as we all know its all part of the hobby when especially once you Mod things.
Now I can do the pipes, check the pistons, and whatever else needs to get looked at , I might even build an Iggy plate with some new pickups and shielded wire to try to get the Zeel to work better also.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

seizure later, and now it's later. It was inevitable, if you ride these guys like they were meant to be. :wtf: ;) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm 

R.B. wrote:
Walms wrote:
Pick up some miratic acid

I didn't know it had happened, but when he pulled into Leelanau I did ask him if it normally sounded that rattley . . . . . So, I concur . . . it IS new piston time and mortice acid

Muriatic acid - that's how it's speled guyz.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm 

It's also spelled "diluted hydrochloric". :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm 

Jim wrote:
It's also spelled "diluted hydrochloric". :)

about 30%....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm 

Yes, and don't think for a second that it won't burn the crap out of your skin, eyes, etc., just because it's only 30%.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:13 pm 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
R.B. wrote:
Walms wrote:
Pick up some miratic acid

I didn't know it had happened, but when he pulled into Leelanau I did ask him if it normally sounded that rattley . . . . . So, I concur . . . it IS new piston time and mortice acid

Muriatic acid - that's how it's speled guyz.

Spelled you mean? :lol:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

pool acid is still nasty, full gear or you are screwed! :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:51 am 

We used a lot of muriatic acid back in the day, great stuff for cleaning masonry stone and brick work, especially stone.
Small rooms with fireplaces where nasty and my uncle seemed immune to the stuff. The fumes would burn your eyes and your lungs and he would act like it was normal…glad those days are over!!

So my question is do you use it in place of honing??? Or as a cleaner before honing??

My instinct tells me that if one piston is shot they are all leaving and new ones are moving in!! Some nice Wossners.
Also with the windows in the pistons for the reeds, I cut them myself and it was not good :banghead So I can't wait to see WTF is going on in there I am usually the cause of most of my problems.
Next time I am taking them to my neighbors machine shop and letting him cut the buggers it will be sooooo much nicer!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next