Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:45 pm 

Hi guys I was just measuring my pistons and stuff checking weights ( trying to lower the VVVVVViiibration , ? why are wisco pistons, gudions lighter than standard k ones ?,can I run wisco gudion pins in my K pistons lowering weight ?, my pistons are still good and want to save my extra spare set of pistons till the 100 yr reunion :wtf: , as they are + 2mm and my bore is 1mm, whats the go how can a crank be balanced then the pistons are all different weights from different suppliers ?
:?:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:09 am 

I'm sure Wiseco wrist-pins (gudgeon pin is an old Pommie word that is not allowed on this forum!! :lol: ) fit in the Kawasaki pistons, they are just a light push fit. Don't know if Wiseco pistons (forged) are much lighter than Kawasaki (cast) pistons, but the pins are heaps lighter, of course. Street cranks are not really balanced with the rods/pistons on, if they are built straight, they are fine. Vibration will never go away like the later rubber-mount/modified cases, but bolt the Engine in Bloody tight, and then make sure the Carbs are doing exactly the same thing as each other, it does make a difference!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:42 pm 

AER005 wrote:
Hi guys I was just measuring my pistons and stuff checking weights ( trying to lower the VVVVVViiibration , ? why are wisco pistons, gudions lighter than standard k ones ?,can I run wisco gudion pins in my K pistons lowering weight ?, my pistons are still good and want to save my extra spare set of pistons till the 100 yr reunion :wtf: , as they are + 2mm and my bore is 1mm, whats the go how can a crank be balanced then the pistons are all different weights from different suppliers ?
I'm running wiseco pins in my stock topend right now with no issues. But i can't tell if they reduce any vibrations tho..? Have you checked timing properly? Mine used to vibrate really bad! Found out that timing was way off due to crank was out of phase (several degrees! :shock: ) So i did reset timing proper and that made a huge difference!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

The vibration comes from the long crankshaft it's not really each individual balance as a problem. It can be a factor but not a huge one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:48 pm 

h2b780 wrote:
AER005 wrote:
I'm running wiseco pins in my stock topend right now with no issues. But i can't tell if they reduce any vibrations tho..? Have you checked timing properly? Mine used to vibrate really bad! Found out that timing was way off due to crank was out of phase (several degrees! :shock: ) So i did reset timing proper and that made a huge difference!

Good luck!

Good point about the Crank , as I have suspected it for a while , I am fitting NOS crank , when checking old crank I suspect that it is out of phase, I will be setting each pickup with a dial gauge just to make sure , just chasing any way to improve the old girl :wave:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:57 pm 

I like the lighter pins. They are tapered near the end on the ID to reduce weight and also a bit shorter. Lighter pins, pistons will reduce the vibes some.When doing a race crank I also balance the big end pins to ensure they weigh even. Go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:46 am 

I alway fit Wiseco piston pin with genuine kawasaki piston, the wiseco pin is lighter :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:08 am 

thanks guys , I thought that they were a better move , interesting that you balanced the crank pins , you will have a crank over there soon , I will ring you about the work I would like you to do soon, this is such a great site ,thanks Neville Rod and Hussan