Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Admin

One thing to note is that air will go to the highest point in the caliper.... so the nipple needs to be at the highest point or, if reverse bleeding, the feed line.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 am 

I had the same problem on my twin disks kh500. I tried everything including squeezing the tubes bleeding every bolt and connection. I bit the bullit and bough a new master cylinder and left everything else as it was. Guess what problem was fixed as soon as I bolted on the new mc. Expensive though but worth the comfort

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am 

OK I have a large 60cc syringe and try to bleed from caliper up. Cant get any in at all, so much pressure that line just come off bleeder with the bleeder open....like there's hydraulic lock or something. Have now lost any firmness that I had in the lever by bleeding as per normal......Grrrrrr :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:52 am 

When I bled my twin disk KH500, I start by bleeding the MC first, ie filling it with fluid, and squeezing the lever at the same time opening first banjo bolt on the master cylinder (MC) and letting it run onto a rag. (there are probably other ways to do this but it work for me.) I then, did the same at every junction by opening the bolts at the same time squeezing the lever. I also fitted new brass washers. I would stop about 3/4 of the way in with the lever pressure. I finally did the same thing on both disks with the bleeder valve. Make sure you have new or have cleaned out your bleeder valaves . They can get blocked or not hold back pressure. I put in new ones just to rule out another possibilty. I bleed them about 6 times on each caliper until no air bubbles came out of the plastic tube I put on top of the bleeder valves. I also jiggled the tubes around and squeezed them.

I got very good at this over time, but until I put the correct MC on, I had only spongy brakes. With the MC they are really excellent brakes. I also overhauled the calipers taking out the piston on each and also have new brakes lines fitted. The overhaul is pretty quick as there are only a few parts, as long as your piston is not too corroded and stuck.

Not sure if this helps, but this was my experience. I now have the best brakes I have ever had on a 70's machine. Oh I also had both disks ground so that they have no warps. Two strokes need good brakes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 am 

Thanks for your reply I will try anything now....LOL
I have new 5/8 master cylinder, all new brake hoses banjo bolts and copper washers. Each caliper is totally refurbished with new seals, pads, pistons,bleeders and solid lines so I think component parts not the problem here....just me. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 am 

Well I have bled the master cylinder many times, went to each joint at splitter and bled and then solid lines into caliper and then the bleeders. Absolutely nothing.
When I squeeze lever clear fluid with no bubbles comes out both sides of bleeder. Trying to back bleed with syringe at the bleeders is next to impossible, which seems worrying. So tight like a hydraulic lock, thought it would just flow up to the MC no problem :wtf: . Running out of fluid now but determined to carry on. will try to wedge open the pads to maximum as suggested and see what happens then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:19 am 
Site Admin

Trent,

If you would, pick one thread or the other, two running concurrently on the same subject is redundant.

You either have a bad "new" master cylinder, or most likely a bubble in the system. And it's hard to move a bubble that is trapped, without a lot of pressure or vacuum. I still say unbolt the components and move them around to move the bubble. there are a bunch of places for one or more bubbles to get caught.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 am 

I beat you to it and had already closed down the other thread, so threat of redundancy is over.
Thanks for the tips but i am completely hacked off with pissing around chasing bubbles this archaic way and will resort to technology instead.
My mate's coming around with his Mytivac.........if that doesn't work I,ll put a drum on there ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am 

+1 with MOO. Do you have another master to try?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am 

I'll chime in only because I fought the brake bleeding meemie for years. Finally bought a MityVac - they're cheap (relatively speaking) and the model I have is push or pull. One of the best time savers I've ever purchased. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next