Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 pm 

Hello,
While servicing the air filter on my "new" 1975 Kawasaki 500, I noticed that the left carb slide was open much more than the others. So, I studied up on how to synch the carbs using information on this website. Thanks to all the smart people who put together that information! It was very helpful! Anyway, to get to the point, the synchronization process went very well and I am confident that the 3 carbs are now working together. I followed the directions exactly and absolutely nothing went wrong. At this point, the bike idles at about 1300 RPM, very steady. The air screws are set at 1 1/4 turns out as specified. I checked the oil pump and I had to move it a bit to get the two lines to match up. Fires right up on the first kick. So what's the problem? Well . . .
Here's where my question comes in: I took it for a ride tonight, and there's a huge flat spot between 2000-4000 RPM. It pulls wicked hard from about 6000 RPM, no problem there! I took the plugs out when I got home, and they were very black and covered with soot. Now I don't know what to do. Where did I go wrong? Any suggestions? BTW the bike is completely stock and has 9300 miles. I didn't replace the air filter because it wasn't really that dirty. I just washed it in solvent, air dried it, and put it back in as it says in the owner's manual. Thank you in advance for any ideas you may offer.
-Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 pm 

It sounds like a jetting issue. Stock jets didn't always provide perfect running depending on the location etc. You could try lowering the needle one notch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:28 pm 

Tim
Did you ever get baffles in the mufflers???
Also did you take apart the carbs and verify the jet sizes , pilot and main and that they a Genuine Mikuni

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/carbspec.html

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 pm 

Hey Johnny!
I ended up getting a set of used baffle tubes from Brian at Vintage Connection. They made a big difference noise-wise but nothing I could really feel performance-wise. My neighbors love the baffle tubes. I have not taken apart the carbs to check the jets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 pm 

I have a 69 H1, amongst other triples, bought this from RB, cleaned the carbs, replaced the LH oil seal and rode it.
If I balanced the crabs once, I balanced them 10 times, but my right hand pot always seemed to be running in front of the others, except at Idle, it wasn't really noticeable, but if you rode a triple regularly then you would notice the difference, I spent ages, changed exhausts & throttle cable, still no difference
Then for whatever reason, I suddenly realised what the problem was
I stripped the carb top down and checked the throttle stop rod, it was like a banana!!
I swapped it for a straight one & it transformed the bike.
Maybe worth checking the rods are straight

Gary T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm 

Thank you for the advice. I'll check that out, too. I'm glad you finally solved your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The air screws are set at 1 1/4 turns out as specified

Specified how? Air screws are set with idle speed, not the manual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am 

The Kaw manual says 1-1/4 turns out, and someone said in a previous post that stock settings work best for a stock bike. So, that's where I put the air screws. I figured it would be "close enough". But it seems too rich. Now I wish I had never touched them at all! At least the slides are going up and down together, that's an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Admin

http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm