Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help me ID this tank?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:26 pm 

OK, I am ready to go to paint on my 74 H2. Actually drained the tank today....pulled it off....it's never been right. It's the one that was on the bike when I bought it (black primer with the sticker on it). It's always had an inch or two of forward back movement and I suspected it was a earlier mode tank. I have another tank...(the red one) I purchased on off ebay a couple years ago when I first bought the bike.....and that tank is in great shape and is the one I will be having painted. So I pulled that one out and wouldn't you know it.

It fits the same as the one I had on there. Crap!

So, please help me figure this out. Either I have the right tank.....but the wrong seat...or the right seat and wrong tank. Or both hahaha.....What a mess. Here's a couple of pics....showing the tank.....seat pan.....and gap between the seat and tank.

I had pulled this off the old board

"different latches for the '72 (non locking open from rear), '73 (locking opens from the rear)and '74-'75 (locking opens from the front) H2 gas tanks."

But that wasn't much help as this tank the gas cap opens from the front....but is non locking???? I don't know...maybe not an oem cap? And to top it off.....the other tank I have...appears to physically be exactly the same.....but it has a non locking cap that opens from the back....I'm so confused.

I took out the tape measure....both tanks measure aprox 23" from tip to tip and the seat is aprox 30" from tip to tip. Hope that's helpful.

Thanks guys

In the last pic it appears to not have a gap between the seat and tank...but you can easily "move" the tank forward about 1.5" .... Nothing holding it down except the band...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:39 pm 

According to http://3cyl.com/mraxl/partid/fuelcap/fuelcap.htm, all H2 tanks through H2B (yours) are the same size, and the only difference is the cap configuration, so if the tank seems short, it sounds like your seat is too short, like maybe made for a 1975 H2C.

From your photos, I don't see a problem though. There's a small gap, possibly because the seat upholstery is not stock, but if you had an H2C seat, the gap would be bigger than that. Was the tank shoved all the way forward so that the rubber buttons were fully seated in the tank's U shaped brackets when the photo was taken? How does the seat measurement compare to the tape measure numbers in the photos here? http://3cyl.com/mraxl/partid/seats/seats.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:16 pm 

Great links, thanks Jim!

OK, it appears I have a H2B seat and tank.

You can see the Max amount of gap in the top pic. The bottom pic is how it usually looks. the tanks have enough slop in them when mounted that you can move them an inch or inch and a half resulting in either no gap or aprox 1" gap. I guess I'll just have to rig up a something so it doesn't go forward that last inch and create the gap..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the seat has the wrong shape where it meets the tank. Maybe the wrong foam?? Or not covered properly???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:50 pm 

TurboChris wrote:
I guess I'll just have to rig up a something so it doesn't go forward that last inch and create the gap..

The tank should be all the way forward when installed. If it's not, the U-shaped brackets and the rubber pieces won't be fully engaged.