Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:52 pm 

Hi Guys,

Just had my H1 crankshaft rebuilt. The guy who did the work had to move one of the damaged seals (913045010) to the end of the crank (he sent it back to me loose so that I can see it before I fitted it). From what I can see it looks to be damaged as it was the centre one that was hit when the bearing adjacent to it broke up. Can anyone advise the purpose of this seal? Do I need to purchase another one ( I have put an ad in the wanted section). I will try and post a pic if required

Thanks again

Marsdenh2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

There are seals and there are oil receivers. I'm guessing you are talking the oil receiver. Most are worn out anyway and are not available as far as I know. they are there to direct the oil going to the bearing into the big end pin and to the big end bearing. It is really not a big deal if you have slotted rods. That written, many guys haven't had problems, so I can only say if you aren't a crazy rider with long bouts of WFO for miles, you should be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
There are seals and there are oil receivers. I'm guessing you are talking the oil receiver. Most are worn out anyway and are not available as far as I know. they are there to direct the oil going to the bearing into the big end pin and to the big end bearing. It is really not a big deal if you have slotted rods. That written, many guys haven't had problems, so I can only say if you aren't a crazy rider with long bouts of WFO for miles, you should be ok.

Are you saying that the crank oil receivers are not available and when anyone rebuilds a crank they don't bother putting them back on? And there are no repros or aftermarket ones either? This is an important part that makes the oil injection worth the time and effort, direct oiling to the big end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

Hi Ja-Moo

The parts diagram lists this as a seal, but after talking to my crankshaft gut he says it is an oil receiver. My rods are slotted too btw.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Admin

DGA, these receivers have been a point of contention for decades. The factory says if you are going to run premix, the crank needs to come apart and the receivers removed. But guys have "dumped the pump" and not had problems. The receivers purpose is to keep the oil coming from the pump to the bearing from going through the bearing, and direct it through the big end pin to oil the big end bearings. But all of them being decades old, they are all pretty much shot (IE leak), so it's not a big deal anymore. Plus because of the guys going to premix, Kawi started installing slotted rods so oil could get the the big end bearings using premix. So, with slotted rods, the receivers are mostly a moot point. There were no replacements to be found for many years, and I have not heard about any reproductions. Seems some are coming out of the woodwork now though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 am 

Well, if you have a stock H1 or H2, and before the H2B/C that actually does premix the oil with the gas in a 'reasonable' time in the carb bowl, my bet is that the oil does not distribute very well in the crankcase from either the hole in the intake port or from coming out the sides of the main bearings, at least as well as if you pump it directly to the big end through the stock receivers. Yes, it works, and yes, they live, but the original oiling system is, in my opinion, as good as two stroke oiling systems got to be, state of the art, even if it was 44 years ago. In the hardest two stroke race applications I have seen, keeping the big end alive is the hardest thing to do, aside from keeping the piston from seizing. Sad thing to not try to keep that well engineered system working.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm 

Trying to remember... What year H2's had slotted rods? 74-75?