Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:51 pm 

First, I'd like to say hi and introduce myself as this is my first post on this forum. I'm a newb to the kawi triple world, which is what brought me here to hopefully gain insight and knowledge into my project bike and just how awesome these bike really are!

So a little back story first......about two years ago in June, I bid on and won a really clean, original '75 Honda CB400F. I was at work when the ebay auction ended, and showed a few of my co-workers at the break table the bike I had literally just won. One of my co-workers said how he had a bike similar to that when he was younger, and remembered riding with his friend who had kawi that was two stroke, which he was always stuck behind and getting choked out with smoke. He then said he thought it was a 400 or 500cc....whatever it was, it was fast! I responded back that it's too bad his buddy doesn't still have that bike, to which he responded 'I think he still does! I'll text him and see if he does and if he wants to sell it.' He text him, and his friend responded back 'Yup...still have it. Might sell, who's interested?' At this point I was given his number and I text him expressing my interest in the bike. He responded that he's the original owner and it's been parked since the mid eighties in his garage. He said he would text me a few photos when he had time to dig it out of his garage. Two weeks later, he text me two photos of the bike and my jaw dropped when I zoomed in on the side panel and saw the 750 badge, let alone in factory purple! I text back immediately, asking if I could come look at the bike and that I was very interested in the bike. To make a long story short, I looked at it and made him a fair offer. (if he could get a title which he had misplaced) Eight LONG months later, and with a fresh title from the WI DMV, we made the deal final, and I brought home one of my bucket list bikes!

I've decided to get this bike back on the road again, but could use some advice and tips. I have not tried to start the bike and don't intend to due to any possible seal failures or cracks. I plan on doing a mechanical restoration and cosmetic cleaning and detailing, NOT a repaint. It's original clothes are too nice to mess with; just a good polish. No mods, unless anyone recommends any mods to help run-ability and longevity. I've already started dis-assembly of the bike to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Front brake system needs complete overhaul, and I've already ordered most of the parts and begun rebuilding this system. Fuel system was also in poor condition, but all parts were still serviceable and is coming along. My big questions are with the engine. I'm going to remove the engine from the frame this week for dis-assembly and rebuild. Engine removal look pretty straight-forward. Any tips I should know for engine dis-assembly? I have herd to take great care removing the cylinders, in case they are stuck on the studs. How do I remove the rotor from the crank? Any tips/tricks with the transmission or clutch on dis-assembly? I've herd about an oiling modification to the case; does this apply to my bike? Any leads/thoughts on crank rebuilding? Recommendations on new pistons and rings, for stock bore? Is the oil pump rebuild-able? Any thing else I'm forgetting or missing that's engine related, please help with advice!

Here's a few photos of the bike the day I got it.

Original Miles!

Original Factory Battery! Thankfully no corrosion in the battery tray.

Thanks guys for taking a look at my post here and I look forward to hearing from some of you and getting as much advice, tips and tricks that I can!

-Eric

'86 BMW R80
'94 Honda XR650 'street tracker'
'04 Honda RC51
2013 HD Heritage Softail
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm 

Welcome!

Wow, wow, wow! You are a lucky man. Personally, I would keep that one stock as it looks in too original condition. Feel free to pm or call me about the crankshaft. There is also a link in my signature. Here is some info on removing the rotor. There is also a tool which can be ordered from jessbikes.com as well as others.

Remove the bolt that is holding the rotor in place. You will notice there are threads inside the rotor which are larger than the threads on the bolt you just removed. These are there to "push" the rotor off of the end of the crank. You must be careful not to damage the end of the crank though. To avoid this damage you will take a pin with a diameter smaller than the rotor bolt you just removed and place it in the blind bolt hole in the end of the crankshaft. The pin should be about one inch long. You then take a bolt and thread it in the larger rotor threads to push on this pin and subsequently pop the rotor off. A rear shock bolt is the correct size I believe. You can use an impact if you are careful or simply snug up the bolt and lightly tap the end of the bolt with a hammer.

Another method is to fill the hole with heavy grease and run the larger bolt in. The hydraulic pressure from the grease will remove the rotor.

Also there is a great resource site here. It has TONS of great information as well as a rough copy of "Glenn's Kawasaki Manual". This manual is a must in my opinion. You can find one now and then on eBay or Amazon. Plan to pay between $30-$200! These motors are very simple but do require attention to detail.

Take a lot of pics and make lots of notes during disassembly and be careful removing parts as some are very rare and hard to find.

Tom or "12 dot" from the other triple forum put together this checklist. It should prove very helpful.

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/ ... =checklist

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:14 am 

I am going to keep it as stock as I can! No mods.....it really is a time capsule. But mechanically, it needs some love. I mean, I am pretty sure it still even has the factory tires on it yet! They're shot...but kinda cool to see that. Nothing on this project will be thrown away, and LOTS of pictures are being taken along the way. I do want to get it running and safe to ride again tho....I feel it will be better appreciated that way. After all...it was meant to be ridden!

Thanks for the info on the crank and rotor removal! I'll give those methods a try. Do you know what size those larger threads might be? I'll just buy a bolt to use as a puller instead of using on from the bike.

And I'm sure I'll be in contact about the crank!

Thanks for the help!

'86 BMW R80
'04 Honda RC51
2013 HD Heritage Softail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 am 

Off hand I am not sure on the size. I edited my post while you were posting to include a checklist Tom or "12dot" from the other forum put together. It should be very helpful.

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/ ... =checklist

Last edited by triple cranks on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am 

"JRD" from this site also makes a rotor removal tool. Shipped for $23 is a great price!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:33 am 

Here's a couple more images.

Note factory yellow paint marks (on petcock).....

.......And on brake line fitting and bottom of fork leg, by the axle.

'86 BMW R80
'04 Honda RC51
2013 HD Heritage Softail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 am 

You scored a really really nice survivor bike :thumbup: thats a rarity and way better than a resto Id go slow on what to do on getting it running again, my advice give it a bath detail it back to clean really clean, leave the engine in it and clean the carbs ,oil tank, gas tank replace fuel and oil lines, leave engine in and pull cylinders free up the rings. Crank rebuild if it were mine no way a long sit does not automatically mean the seals are shot, leak test it if it passes then go for the gusto

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 am 

Unbelievable. CONGRATS you lucky so and so.

Lane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:51 am 
Site Admin

Here are some links that will prove useful:
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/newbies.htm
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/TomsTips/checklists.htm
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/maint/contents.htm
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 am 

Congrats, that is a rare find. Once in running condition, that will be a very valuable bike, they are selling for over $10K on ebay these days.

I would bet the crank will need a rebuild but doing a leak down test is a good idea. I am also restoring an H2 and triple cranks [Charlie Smith] rebuilt it, he has received very good reviews.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next