Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:49 pm 

sweet nice to see it coming along so nicely and in sac too. Tomorrow I can finally start getting mine out of storage as we had a garage sale last weekend to clear out my garage, not hers lol, but she don't mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 am 

Keep up the great work and updates. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:12 pm 

Nice job Darrin,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:15 pm 

Moving slowwwwwwly. But I just got my top-end back from Scott Clough! These are just pasted up comparisons between a stock head and his reworked parts. I should mention that my center deck height measured slightly less than the outer two cylinders. Here's some info from Scott:
"I set compression pretty close to what I estimated from the measurements to be stock, which comes out to about 150psi...about as high as I want to go with todays gas. You will use the stock head gaskets, and I left the center head with about 1/3cc more volume for the hottest cylinder. All cylinders are the same height within about .002", I took about .048" off the tops. The heads were a bit of a pain, since nothing was concentric; the spark plug hole, cast chamber, and the cut groove, were all on slightly different centers. I had to shim and offset each head to center the chamber with the stud holes, which is what locates the head on the cylinder. Squish clearance should be checked, the target was .030", acceptable would be about .025-.040".

I have another John Aylor referral for the same process on the way in, so I have everything recorded to make the next one easier."
:eh: .

After I had asked Scott about recommended jetting, plug, or timing changes:
"I doubt you would need any spark plug heat range change, I would expect 8's for any street use, 9's for track or extended high speed use. Jetting probably won't change much if at all, depending on how well it was dialed before, but you certainly want to check it. With the much improved squish there may be a benefit to trying different ignition timing settings, possibly less advance if the burning is faster. The compression is actually no higher than what I estimated was standard, but is on the high side for today's fuels in my opinion.

You should check squish clearance once assembled, target was .030" at the outside edge, acceptable range is .024-.038". You will use the stock head gaskets, I would use a sealer such as Coppercoat spray, hi-temp silicone like Permatex Ultra Black (I use this a lot, on some gaskets, manifolds, pipe fittings), or you can use a little aluminum spray paint. I left the center cylinder with .3cc more volume for lower compression since it runs hotter than the outers"

One last note...if you think you might want to have Scott perform some of his quality work on your "little" (meaning non-racer/race team) Triple stuff, I'd recommend asking him soon and during the off-racing season. :think:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:05 pm 

sweet guess its a very merry xmas :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 pm 

Nice job buddy!!!! Hope to get my S3 started soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 pm 

Man, the cylinder heads are way cool !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:02 pm 

Kawi3cyl

Does that added hole mod work on the H2's and H2B\C ?.........makes sense for sure

THX Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Scott does his heads differently than I do mine, He does more of the RD Yamaha type dome. Either way it's just opening up the area where the plug is, for a better burn.