Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gauge Bezels
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:58 pm 

Has anyone ever found a source for the chrome bezel that crimps around the glass on gauges? I can't even find part numbers for these... :(

I know Emgo must be making them since they produce repop units (for the early H1 at least)...anyone?

Post subject: Re: Gauge Bezels
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Legally the bezels are not supposed to be removable, so no, you won't find a part number. Only whole instrument units.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:14 pm 

They do bob up on e-bay fairly frequently, depending on model, which is a bit vague at times. Thought I saw a set for the early H2 a few days ago...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:36 pm 

Thanks Rod - I will keep an eye out. The ring which surrounds the gauge in the dash is fairly common, and looks similar (just fair warning to anyone else looking).

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:33 pm 

How many do you want Brother???

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:01 pm 

III wrote:
How many do you want Brother???

8 x H2/A and 2 x H2B/C and 2 x H1/A

That would be the ideal total...but i could get away with much less and just replace the scraped and dented ones..you have some?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:53 am 

This is decades ago, in So. Cal., probably gone from earth by now, but there were a couple of speedo repair shops that did a lot of gauges that I used to use. They had a bezel for some car gauge that was very commonly available, and was so close to what we had, it wasn't funny. If you can find one, ask a good gauge repainr store.

Those bezels were originally done with a male/female die, and hydro-formed, Don't remember the gauge vendor Kawasaki used, might have been Nippon-Seiki, or Nippon-Denso. Denso did almost all the Honda and some Suzuki, Seiki did Yamaha and a lot of the Kawasaki gauges back then.

I also remember that down on the lower edge of the facia plate, the gauge manufacturers used to silk screen their identification on. Might help a speedo shop find parts?? There were also "bezel roller" tools commercially available then, one lifted the crimped edge to remove the bezel, the other re-rolled the edge back tight.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 am 

...and those early H2/H1-B Shrouds are the go for hiding the "can-opener" marks on the bezels. if you don't have the right tool. (just did my H2 gauges, building a Crank or a Gearbox is a walk in the park by comparison....! :| :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:19 am 

RODH2 wrote:
...and those early H2/H1-B Shrouds are the go for hiding the "can-opener" marks on the bezels. if you don't have the right tool. (just did my H2 gauges, building a Crank or a Gearbox is a walk in the park by comparison....! :| :lol:

Hi Rod How hard was it I have replaced a glass yrs ago on my H2 , what did you use for the damper , my speedo is very optomistic , to say the least , , bet its cold down there is quite nippy here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:18 am 

Hi Al, I just built 1 speedo and 1 tach out of 3 or 4 old ones. and ran them with a drill for ages so they settled down. I just used the best parts I had, and they seem okay at this stage. I had old ones in storage, must be 30 odd years, so whether they deteriorate or just stay the same, I 'm not sure.... (ongoing project!). Got some nice faces from Diablo, (repro. decals in Canada, quality item!) Hasn't been cold here yet, seems like a late Autumn! How is the H2 going?