Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:31 pm 

Gotta love the serial number -

Guys wants a grand for it,I think THINK that includes the carbs, pipes and ignition. Needs rebuild, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 pm 

Old first style TZ top end on a street bike wet clutch lower end, with water pump bolted to oil pump drive boss. TZ water pump drive ratio was 1.09:1, oil pump drive was 1.05:1, TZ used straight cut plastic driven gear, street bike, angled driven plastic gear. Those top ends fit DS series piston port 250, RD250, R5, RD2350/RD350, and with spacer plates, RD400. That same barrel would also fit TZ700/750 4 cylinders.

With this same basic design engine as a TZ, a novice could race the 250, then, when they went to intermediate, switch the top end, and run a 350 cylinder, pistons, head and pipes. Then, when they went to expert, go to the TZ700/750 4 cylinder. By the same token, the TZ700/750 barrels and heads, pistons, will direct mount to that lower end.

Transmissions for the wet clutch ran from DS7 250/R5 series 5 speeds, to RD250/350/400 ran the 6 speeds.

Very clever and diverse design, ran them for a long time, have a lot of top end and complete engine parts, mostly TZ700/750, some TZ250/350. One of those engines with a TZ750 top end, NICE street bike engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:39 am 

very coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm 

The owner called me pushing me to buy it, seems highly motivated.....

Some very interesting information H2R Tuner- thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm 

My road race teams raced these things for a lot of years, both AMA and AFM. Championships (various riders) every year we raced 'em. These engines and designs were used as the base for the TZ series racer engines until the new, specifically designed for racing 1981 TZ 250's came about. The 1981's were an individual cylinder/head, side by side twin, mechanical barrel type power valve, 6 speed, dry clutch, not a street engine converted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

Earlier today I was talking to a local drag racer who remembered a guy coming up and racing his TZ250 based motorcycle drag bike at the strip. He said it was running high 7's in the 8th, which is pretty darn good for a 250.

He also mentioned that he called tech inspection on him once, because he was beating everyone and they thought for sure he was running at least a 350 - but nope, it was a 250.

"Tall skinny kid owned and raced it"

Same guy, it's a small small small world around here......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:53 pm 

motohorseman wrote:
The owner called me pushing me to buy it, seems highly motivated.....

Some very interesting information H2R Tuner- thanks!

Beat'em with a stick! never pay full price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:24 pm 

Needs some TLC, for sure. Cylinders probably need a re-plate. Waiting on the pipes, ignition box, carbs and some others stuff that was bundled into the deal.

Hopefully I can make a little money on it, having a lot of trouble finding values on the internet.

Heard a lot of stories about how this engine ran. Funniest was talking to the guy that used to race against it.

He said the owner (that I bought the motor) from was a A-hole. He would show up at the strip and win every race. They called tech inspections on his because they knew he was not running a 250cc engine, and he always passed. They accused him of running nitro, tested the fuel, no nitro. He kept beating them, they kept whining for tech inspections -

I asked him who the real A-hole was, I was getting confused.....